Friday, July 8, 2016

What's a Lifestyle Blogger?

Hi, Friends!

I'm fairly new to this whole world of blogging and it was only a few months ago that my instagram was limited to pictures of my girls and on occasion, my food. But only if I wanted to make you reeeeeally jealous.

Since entering this world of style blogging I've had plenty of awkward encounters with well-meaning people who just don't get what I'm doing. So! I decided to do a quick explanation. This way, we are all on the same page. Sound good?

Here are just a few of the questions I've been asked recently and hopefully in answering these, you'll gain a bit of a better understanding into this world of style and fashion blogging and why I love it so much.

What's a Lifestyle Blogger

A blogger in general is someone who has a blog. Duh, right? When you start adding words in front of the title "Blogger" is when you start getting into the specifics of what they blog about. In this case, Lifestyle can actually look completely different for any given blogger because we all have different lifestyles. That's what makes this space so interesting and fun! On my blog, you'll read about personal style, home decor, being a mommy, and how-to's for living your everyday life well. That's my lifestyle. So in this space, that's what I write about. 

Why Do You Post Pictures of Yourself?

This is a fun one. I remember a few years ago someone telling me about a blogger they followed but how they just couldn't believe that she would post pictures of her outfit EVERY. DAY. Gasp. How could someone be so narcissistic? I myself thought you'd have to be either totally full of yourself or totally insecure to need to have a feed full of YOSELF. Flash forward to now and here's where I've landed. I follow some incredible women on instagram, most of whom I discovered on pinterest while standing in my closet frustrated by my lack of inspiration.

 I looked at what they wore and it helped me figure out what to wear. 

It's as simple as that. 

Then it got even better. Not only could I gain inspiration from these women, but I could also give a quick tap tap to their picture and voila! Links to everything they were wearing showed up in my email within minutes. This is the beauty of a style blogger. We do the work finding the sales, curating the looks, and presenting them in a way that is real and accessible. Then YOU, the consumer, are (hopefully) inspired and saved a boat load of time.

I grew up in a family of six girls and we had a revolving door in each of our closets (depending of course upon mood and availability). We were constantly stealing ideas from each other. That's what we do, ladies. That's what this space is all about. I don't do this because I want to see pictures of myself. Believe me, that part is terrifying. I do this because I want to inspire other moms to switch their stretchy pants and tanks for distressed denim and an off the shoulder top. Feeling good in your skin is incredible. If I can help another lady friend to do that, mission accomplished!

Is It Just a Hobby?

I think every blogger has a different level of involvement but most of us are using this platform as an opportunity to monetize our blog and instagram. So if you see I've linked an entire outfit, it's not just because I want you to be able to find it easier. It's also because the company selling the clothing offers commission to the one sending traffic to their site. This isn't a big secret and the idea behind this thought process has been around forever. Every time you walk into a store, they have pictures of models all over the wall showing what the clothes look like on. They also have people there to help you find what you're looking for. And if you were to bring a personal shopper with you, they would be compensated by the store for bringing you in. It's the exact same model only it's a whole lot easier for you! I would so much rather see a "real life" girl wearing something than a cranky weirdly posed model. I also would want to hear her take on how it fits. Should I size up or down? Am I gonna need special undies to wear with it?  When a stylist reviews an item, they are trying to take the guess work out for you.

Many of these women are supporting their families through their little blogs. I was inspired to get started in this space when my husband was in the hospital and I started wondering if he would be able to go back to work again. I wanted to be able to help support my family without having to sacrifice personal passions and time spent with my babies. 

So, No, it's not a hobby. It's a JOB! It takes time and planning to make this come together. But it is also an incredible creative outlet and I enjoy every minute of it!


Who Takes Your Pictures?

If you see me in an every day, I-phone picture then either my instagram husband or my three year old is taking my picture. Sometimes I can get my sister to take an OOTD for me if we are hanging out. But I am just not brave enough to ask ANYONE else to take an outfit picture for me. Unless I'm in the mood for an awkward stare and a whole slew of personal embarrassment! Just to be clear, I'm pretty much never in the mood for that.

If I have certain styles I want to really showcase, I meet up with my SUPER talented photographer friend, Kels, to shoot those looks. The idea is to have more of those and less of the i-phone but you know, some days I can barely get the I-phone pic in! #momlife or really just #life 


I hope that clears up just a smidgen of the confusion surrounding this whole world of life and style blogging. Sometimes women in this arena can get a bad rap but I'm here to tell you that I've met some of the kindest, most encouraging, and uplifting women in this community. It's a rising tide where many of us are striving to use the platform we've been given to build each other up and point each other to Christ. It's an incredibly positive environment because you just can't be sad in a pare of GREAT wedges. It's just not possible. 

I'd encourage you to find a few style bloggers and follow along on their journey. My instagram feed these days is better than a magazine due to the incredible women I follow!

Thanks for reading, friends! Have a great Weekend!

Love,

Laura



No comments: