Friday, May 1, 2015

Eating Soup for Lunch... and other ways I'm teaching food it's not the boss of me

It's not fun admitting that I've struggled with food choices in my life. I have a desire to be healthy and fit but I also just really love to eat. I love the whole experience that surrounds food. Not to mention, the food itself.

But the most powerful thing I learned while doing the Whole 30 is the idea that food is fuel for your body. I have always known this to be true but creating habits that reflect this mindset is a different story. It's so important that I'm putting the best fuel in my body so I can be a good steward of this "earthly tent" I'm occupying (were you even ready for that super deep spiritual reference?).

So today as I was eating soup for lunch, all I kept thinking about was how I wished I wasn't eating soup.

I'm ok with soup. Sometimes I love it. Especially if it's cold and rainy outside and I'm snuggled up under a blanket drinking it from a great big mug. There I go with the experience thing again. I'm telling you, it's no joke!

Today was sunny and beautiful outside. A little warm and SO not a soup day. But out of all the options in the fridge, it was the best one.

So now that I'm looking back and lunch has been had, I'm realizing the power of being disciplined in the moment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not always disciplined in the moment. Last night I had an almond flour muffin at 10 pm just because it was there.

I've still got a ways to go.

But I'm just constantly amazed at how much little choices we make on a daily, almost hourly, basis make the difference in the long run.

So if you're eating soup for lunch or any other food that's not causing you to salivate and lose your mind over it's utter deliciousness, I'm with ya!

One step at a time I'm teaching food who is in charge. So take that number five from chick fil a with a sweet tea and a side of sauce... also known as "What I kind of wish I was eating for lunch".


No comments: