Monday, May 4, 2015

Memory Verse Monday!

Hi, friends!

I am so so so so SO excited to be starting this new series here on the ol' bloggity blog. We have been working with Reese on memorizing scripture each week for about six months now and Matt and I have been blown away by how much she can soak in! But it really just makes sense...

Why do our kids have the ability to recognize and recite the theme song of every Disney channel Jr. show? Two words. Consistent. Repetition. Add in a little enthusiasm for actually wanting to know the words and voila!

But these words that we are teaching them are so much more than words. Their are hundreds of places in God's word that talk about the power of scripture, but this is my favorite:

"So is my word that goes out from my mouth; it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire." Isaiah 55:11

I don't know about you but I'm all about God accomplishing what He desires in the lives of my children. So I'm sold out and on a mission to teach them to know and meditate on His word.

Since we started this venture a few months ago, I have had a few moms ask me how to do it and where to start. The Bible has lots of great stuff to say but I have been feeling the Lord leading us to very specific types of scripture to begin with.

We are focusing on verses that contain premises, promises, and premises WITH promises. That's a tongue twister but here's an example:

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4


This verse contains a premise followed by a promise.

Most of the verses will be aimed at specific behaviors that we are already trying to teach our children to walk in, but many of the verses will be about who God is and what He says about our children. 

I'm a firm believer that community support makes SO many things better. It's my dream that this series will take the guess work out of teaching your kids the word and will give you the direction you need to begin a new chapter in the life of your family.

Here we go! Our verse for the week of 5/4/15 is

"My delight is in the law of the Lord and on His law I meditate day and night." Psalm 1 :2

Short Devotion Guide: What does it mean to delight in something? Remember back to Christmas morning? What was your very favorite toy you got? Did it make you really happy? Delight is another word for "happy". When we delight in something. it means we are just sooooooo excited about it. Now the next part of this verse says something about the law of the Lord. That's just a fancy way to say our Bible! We want to know what's in our Bible so we can get excited about it! God says so many wonderful things especially for us so that's why all day long we want to think about His word. Being reminded of how special we are to God will help us to have the right attitude about whatever is going on around us. 

Prayer: Thank you, Jesus, for your words! Help me to delight in them and think about them day and night. I love you!

No comments: