Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Family Health Crises + Cognac Bags

Hi, sweet friends!

I hope you had the best weekend!! Ours was so laid back and chill, which is just what we needed.

In case you were wondering, I am aware how random of a post title this is. Who talks about family health crises and cognac bags in the same blog post? Well, I do. This is my life, y'all. We may be struggling thru the toughest times our family has ever experienced, but that doesn't mean everything else in life stands still. It's a balance between being grounded in reality (which can be scary at times!) and escaping thru creativity.

Matt was diagnosed with a chronic disease (ulcerative colitis) when he was 18. If you know anything about our story, you know we were dating at that time of his diagnoses so we went through a lot at a very early stage of our relationship. He's been in and out of the hospital over the past 12 years but this past year has been a doozy of a relapse. Every doctor he's ever seen has told him that his case is the worst and most complicated they've seen in their careers. Flattering for sure.

He's spent a combined total of two months hospitalized since January and oddly enough, it was during this time that I started getting the idea to start a style blog.

I know, weird timing.

My first ever "style post" was actually on the Emory University Hospital campus during a visit with Matt. I finally got up the nerve to pose in front of the i-phone while random strangers walked by and stared.

There were so many nights I spent alone and scared and as far as I could see it, I had two options:

I could worry myself to tears, conjuring up all the horrible possibilities with his health

OR

I could choose to focus my energies on something that breathed life into me.

I chose the latter and here we are.

Matt is such a trooper and has THE best attitude. Even with all he's gone thru, he is just the most positive and hopeful bright spot for our family.

He still has to go in for treatment every few weeks and gets admitted each time for at least two to three days, but we are so thankful that he seems to be improving!

We know he will have at least two lengthy stays (two to three weeks) due to major surgeries between now and the end of the year. I'll try to keep you posted on his progress. That's one area that we sort of forget to fill people in on. But I'll try to do better! Thank you to those who have prayed for us. We love you to the moon and back!

Now onto bags!

 I had a friend ask me to help her do some shopping for a new cross body leather cognac bag. I look at these all the time because I just don't think you can have too many of these neutral bags! I'd have hundreds if I could. But I can't. So I'll just look at pictures of them and drool.

Here are a few of my favorites!







I love this color bag because it can literally be worn with anything. The color is so rich and just makes me feel fancy even when I'm not at all fancy. #momlife

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you had a great day!

Love,

Laura

1 comment:

Miss Mary Powers said...

I love that you have found your passion in the midst of what y'all are going through! God is so good like that to spark something in you, when you need it the most. I don't know anything about that disease but it sounds terrible :( I'll be praying for your sweet family. I love seeing your stories of your daughter praising Jesus. There's nothing sweeter than seeing that! Hope you have a great night. PS- cognac is the bomb! :)